Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 MotoGP
So, with testing done, the general idea is that the Repsol Hondas are the bikes to beat yet again with Yamaha, reunited with Rossi but lead by Lorenzo, following suit. The question about Repsol Honda though, would be, can their riders handle it? Dani Pedrosa, despite all of his talent, just doesn't seem to be consistent enough to be a winner while his team-mate, Marc Marquez, while undeniably incredibly talented, might just be a bit too green to go for it right from the start. Then again, the guy's the most talented rider to come into MotoGP class since Jorge Lorenzo himself albeit he does have a bit of a wild side.
Lucio Cecchinello's team, LCR Honda, has this year garnered support from HRC's factory, meaning Stefan Bradl will, effectively, be riding a kind of 3rd factory bike, while I don't expect it to be on-par with the Repsol's, I do expect him to be really competitive. The deal for Bradl to be factory backed ranges "at least until 2014" and maybe, just maybe, Honda, even with Stoner's retirement, are still looking to replace Pedrosa, who, in all honesty, hasn't lived up to expectation ever since he was promoted.
Behind Repsol and LCR Hondas + Yamahas, I'd expect the Tech 3 Yamahas and Ducatis to battle it out. Also in the mix with the 2 teams should be Bautista on his Gresini Honda. He's shown last season he's got enough talent to be competitive but at times, he's just been too aggressive. Bradley Smith's a newcomer so at Tech 3, I'd expect Cal Crutchlow to have the upper hand while the most interesting battle will be at Ducati, where Hayden will be facing a raring to go Dovizioso, who feels he's got a point to prove.
Someone'll hate me, of course. But Stoner and Lorenzo were too prized by the lack of Rossi's bikes during last years. In these time the importance of the bikes were major than the riders faculties mainly due to electronic advices and tires. 10 years ago Rossi should ride a Ducati and win the Title the same. Last 2 years there were 4/5 (3 RC 212V in 2011) too many competitive bikes and everyone but Spies last year could finished on the podium. The other riders also had problems to fight against them in wet conditions due to 'electronics'.
Since Rossi is back on a Yamaha he's near to Lorenzo. The accident, 2 ugly years and some difference from the M1 he leaved and his age will slow him a bit in the first races but then Lorenzo must forget last easy year if he want win at least 4 races. Because also Marquez and Pedrosa can win some races and maybe Crutchlow can try to obtain a victory. If only Yamaha give him some official parts....
I'm so sorrow for Spies. He need some good results but it's difficult that Desmosedici GP13 will be 1' faster than the GP12 and he will score some 5th place and a podium. I think he risk to be out of the world championship in 2 years or on a CRT like De Puniet, another good rider.
The Moto2 championship should be only for a spanish guy....
[Image: homogp_don_t_touch_all.gif]
[Image: Targhe.gif]
Spaniards are and will be steamrolling Moto3, that's for sure, in Moto2, on the other hand, there are plenty of other riders that can defy them, say Redding, Nakagami, Corsi, former MotoGP riders (Kallio, for instance) and the list goes on...

Glad to see Rossi back on the podium once more in his long career, pity Bradl had to start the season with a DNF, though. Sad
I'm a bit angry because if Pedrosa, that seemed to drive a Mercedes Wxx at least of the last 3 years, wasn't so stopped in the 1st corner Valentino should pass Lorenzo before the 6th lap and score a solitary win. Another time Dovizioso fighted so much against Rossi and noone else! He caused another loss of time! :x Btw I'm so happy! One of the 2 or 3 better races since the last of 2010! :lol:

Redding, Nakagami, Kallio, Luthi are brilliant riders but they have to be consistent. As I've seen them last years I think the can sometimes make good races but they can't find consistency, maybe except Redding, he's younger than the other and possibly more brilliant. I think Nakagami will need some time more. About Corsi (and I'm italian! Big Grin) I've seen him Aprilia official rider in 250cc but I've never seem him to be one of the 5-6 best rider in a class. Don't forget De Angelis, he can try win some races.
Probably Moto2 are not so easy to drive. Some good riders still have problems to score decent results. I hope Pasini will return on the podium, he need it very much, his talent is bigger than his result since 250cc bikes were stopped. Also Elias and Simon (after his big injury) deserves better results. Wilairot seemed to be sometime capable to fight for the podium before his accident and the coma, unfortunately now is often riding for the 19th pos as Takahashi who won some races.
I honestly don't expect Rossi to compete with Lorenzo, he's still fast and has got most of his moves but he's "old" and won't go in as bold as he used to, while Lorenzo is going into his prime years and is, quite possibly, currently the best rider on the grid. Also, I'm really wondering about the future of Pedrosa, the last teammate he's really outshone was Nicky Hayden, whom I don't rate as a rider honestly, he's not impressed me apart from that fluke year that he's had, when he became the champion. Marquez is already giving him a run for his money and he'll only get better and better. If he develops the way he's expected to, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes at least as good as Jorge Lorenzo in the future, he's got the capacity to do so.

In about 15 minutes, the race will start and, given the results of the tests + how the weekend went, I'm expecting Marquez to claim a debut win. For some reason, he just seems to have Circuit of the Americas figured out way better than any other rider out there, even the qualifying time he's posted is astonishing, only Pedrosa being any close to him.
You also aren't right here, I think! Big Grin As I said in some places I've seen Marc Marquez do incredible things since 125cc, the only one who have done similar stuff is Valentino Rossi.
Probably in few races Lorenzo will not be consider the best rider, Rossi and Marquez are better. Smile It was a new and a particular track, I can't wait to see Valentino in next 'classic' tracks.
I didn't like Pedrosa until last year (especially when he won 3 titles with the only official bike in the classes), now he can do very good races.
I'm wrong? I was RIGHT! Marquez is the new youngest winner in the top class and if he continues like this, he could actually fight for the title. If he's this competitive now that he's new and raw, imagine what kind of monster he'll become after a few years when he had become more experienced. Confusedhock: In a way, I was nervous these last few laps, Dani Pedrosa is not a guy I'd want behind in 2nd place when you're close to winning a race, he's prone to mistakes, especially missing braking points and there was 1 moment when he almost took him and Marquez out of the race, missing him by a hair at the end of the back straight.
We'll see what happens in the next races but till now, Lorenzo's been a step ahead of Valentino on both races. He's like a Moto GP equivalent of Alonso, riding his bike to the max and making few mistakes, if it hadn't been for Marquez, I'd be kind of worried for the future of Moto GP because I'd hate another era of domination similar to what Rossi had.
Whereas Bradl dissapointed me (I expected much more from a factory backed rider), Crutchlow impressed, being as quick on a Tech 3 as Lorenzo had been on a factory Yamaha and all of this despite NOT having tested at COTA unlike the factory teams. Dovizioso seems to be getting better and better on his Ducati as well, it's too bad that the bike is just that bad.
Cile Wrote:I'm wrong? I was RIGHT! Marquez is the new youngest winner in the top class and if he continues like this, he could actually fight for the title. If he's this competitive now that he's new and raw, imagine what kind of monster he'll become after a few years when he had become more experienced. Confusedhock: In a way, I was nervous these last few laps, Dani Pedrosa is not a guy I'd want behind in 2nd place when you're close to winning a race, he's prone to mistakes, especially missing braking points and there was 1 moment when he almost took him and Marquez out of the race, missing him by a hair at the end of the back straight.
We'll see what happens in the next races but till now, Lorenzo's been a step ahead of Valentino on both races. He's like a Moto GP equivalent of Alonso, riding his bike to the max and making few mistakes, if it hadn't been for Marquez, I'd be kind of worried for the future of Moto GP because I'd hate another era of domination similar to what Rossi had.
Whereas Bradl dissapointed me (I expected much more from a factory backed rider), Crutchlow impressed, being as quick on a Tech 3 as Lorenzo had been on a factory Yamaha and all of this despite NOT having tested at COTA unlike the factory teams. Dovizioso seems to be getting better and better on his Ducati as well, it's too bad that the bike is just that bad.

Another time u missed a part of my words! I said only good things about Marquez. I meant your ideas about Rossi and Lorenzo was very bad.
The Desmosedici seems already better than last year, then today Rossi was near to Dovizioso, don't the contrary Because on that track the gap was great for many riders. Valentino today had a problem with a front brake disk during the formation lap and this slowed him a bit. Then he finished front wheel at half race when he was one of the fastest riders on the track. He was 1"2 behind Bradl when his front wheel became to be very bad. Race finished. Wait next races before talk, in the while remember 2010 Spa and Mal Gps! Big Grin
I'm also waiting for next Desmodeci and I mean I don't wan't to offend Ducati. At the end of the season u'll say to me what Dovizioso'll did better. Often Hayden seems not a good reference to show his teammate level.

About Qatar Valentino, after 2 years of very bad bikes, dreamed to win just the 1st race back on Yamaha and he known that too many times
Lorenzo and Stoner won races in the 1st few laps because the electronic advices of modern ages don't consent to close the gaps and win after some laps.
Dovizioso fighted so hard with him as many other times (and don't so hard against any other rider), porbably Valentino was a bit long but don't to go out of the track, the problem was when they went to the corner found Pedrosa that seemed so very slow. To don't crash against him lost the possibility to win.
You've got to understand 2 things about Rossi and Lorenzo:
1. Vale's not getting any younger and each year he's slowly losing his cutting edge. He's still one of the best on the grid, no doubt about that but you can't compare current Rossi to the early and mid 00's Rossi, who was a young and hungry rider. Maybe he'll get something back but I also dare say, those 2 seasons at Ducati didn't really do him any good. Apart from that, the guy's got so many side-projects, recently, he's been driving a NASCAR car. :lol:
2. Lorenzo's talent has now been coupled with a few years of experience and he's been with Yamaha while Rossi's been trying to sort out Ducati, so he knows the bike a lot better and undoubtedly has a much better feeling on it compared to Vale. If you look at the complete package, he's currently the best out there. I'd actually put him as the #1 candidate to be the champion come the end of the season.

I've read an interesting, if not funny comment by someone on some site that Honda should've brought in Vale to "teach" Marquez. Guess whoever wrote that, didn't watch the 2008 season, when Lorenzo was a rookie and Rossi was anything BUT his teacher. These guys are too egoistical to be teachers to their rookie teammates. And I kind of doubt Honda would want Vale given the fact that he was given his break by them but then left to help Yamaha get the edge over them (effectively ending Repsol Honda's domination).
It's almost a decade that Valentino is testing 4 wheels. Rally, GT, F1, now NASCAR. It's for funny and for econimical purpose. For ex Toyota and Yamaha have some common interest, when he drove for HRC Honda had some good reason to put him on a F1. As he said 4 or 5 years ago while he decided to stop the tests with Ferrari, the time for begin with certain 4 wheels engagement is almost done. A thing is win some italian GT races, another drive in the world races. And in the last years drive a MGP bike and a car trying win both championship it's impossible.
Preziosi gave him a Ducati that was impossible to bring on the podium. Too many problems with electronics, suspensions, frame, engine and especially strange ideas of the chief engineer. Carbon fiber rear suspension, load-bearing structure (little frame and engine) are only 2 of the innovations that were difficult to make work quickly. The 1st should work but it's difficult to fix, especially with the rest of that bike. About the 2nd many of the bike engineers have doubts. Preziosi always wanted to mantain Ducati bikes with tube frame ('traliccio') and desmodromic engine but to make works some of the innovations he thougt he bring the Desmosedici GP12 to have a frame like the 'japs' and he seamed to don't listen riders suggestion. Stoner who wasn't a good test rider can have some blame too. He arrived and the GP7 was an incredible bike, he it's be sent and the GP10 was quite as the contrary.
Lorenzo had won in 2010 because Valentino had the injury, Stoner had a Ducati and Pedrosa was the same Pedrosa. Last year Stoner had the injury and Pedrosa started the championship almost at half. At that point Lorenzo was slow to take a podium (nobody else should fight for the 2nd except the official riders) and the only time who tried to win against Pedrosa, in the last race, he crashed. He is better than in 2008 but neither him nor Stoner are the best talents of the last 5 years. Take a look to Marquez....

I've just seen the 2001 Aus GP. The electronic advices weren't used so much and Rossi won with some beautiful overtakes and risked to crash a bit too but the 6th, Haga, arrived only 2"584 behind him! At that point everybody could effectively see the best rider of that time.