Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: Which partly allowments should become legal?
This poll is closed.
Time-depening releases allowed
14.29%
2 14.29%
License-free list
7.14%
1 7.14%
Textures only
28.57%
4 28.57%
All partly allowments combined
50.00%
7 50.00%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

***The legendary leeching question. PART 2!***

Staff
It's Monday already and after the first Vote closed yesterday the new one will start today. As the combined part permits won you and all the other of the community have to decide which kind of these part permits shoud be allowed.

Here are the ideas again:
Partly allowed: Textures only
If you choose this, it means if you want to release some texture add-ons the files won't be checked about stolen files, so texture add-ons, skins or reworks without permissions would be become legal

Partly allowed: License-free list
If you choose this, there will be a list added to both, the R4S Forum and Home Page too, where everybody can officially agree to edit without permissions the files the person has done and uploading them would be allowed.

Partly allowed: Time-depening releases allowed
If you choose this, it means if a person or group is not reachable anymore or was offline for a long (pre-defined) time it would be allowed to release their stuff without having their permission. EXCEPTIONS POSSIBLE!

All partly allowments combined
Speaks for itself. All of the partly allowments namend above will be combined and become legal.

IMPORTANT: Of course the credit-giving rule still exists, whichever of these options will win! That means if you want to add stuff to R4S without giving credits to stuff you don't created it will be deleted in any case!

The Poll will be closed on March 28th, 0:00 am GMT+1. You just have one option to choose and you cannot switch it, so choose wisely!

Kind regards,
Race4Sim Administration Team

Staff
I voted for the last option. There's no problem with any of these things if you ask me. Especially the third one, since it would be impossible to upload updates for mods like CTDP, how great they might be.
And of course credits have to be given to the original author(s).

Staff
You perfectly know my opinion Wink

I vote for time-dependent releases. That's always been what I feel is fair.

I voted for combined partly allowed.
Everything else in my opinion leads to a certain death of modding the games, as the modders will go on with their live, they become unavailable which means you can't update their mod, or patch them, if they are unbalanced or have some bugs. Plus that would mean that new modders can't use their materials as basics for learning how to mod the games, which means we would completely cut off the possibility of new modders showing up.

Staff
We're done! The community finally decided which kinds of releasing stuff without permission will be allowed in the future!
Here are the results:
  • Textures only: 4 votes
  • License-free list: 1 vote
  • Time-depening releases allowed: 2 votes
  • All partly allowments combined: 7 votes
Total votes: 14

This means: FROM NOW ON WE WILL HAVE SEVERAL CASES WHERE YOU CAN UPLOAD FILES WITHOUT PERMISSION!
In detail, it means:
  • You can upload any Texture you want without permission.
  • If you want, your name will be added to a list which shows that everybody can change and upload even 3D Stuff made by you.
  • If someone or a group wasn't reachable for more then three years and you can show you weren't able to reach them you can edit and upload textures by the creator(s) of the original file.

Of course you cannot upload any stuff you want from now on, you still have to give credits to the original authors!

If you still have some questions left or if something wasn't understandable, feel free to ask Smile

Kind regards,
R4S Administration Team

I wish I'd visited this site sooner and more often; I found it because of my friend Jalnervion, with whom I still stay in close contact, and I'm glad to see F1C being "kept alive." A friend I made through the old Race Sims Central is a lawyer, and he once said he had to laugh at modders demanding requests for permissions because everyone who ever modded F1C in any way had violated the copyright of EA Sports, the only people who have any legitimate stake in all this. I hate to say anything goes, but that's generally true of the Internet, of course. Personally I'm happy to get an acknowledgment; about as upset as I get is that the people in Spain who converted my old 1976 cars to rFactor credit me for "skins" when I did the Ligier teapot dome from scratch!

neiln1 Wrote:about as upset as I get is that the people in Spain who converted my old 1976 cars to rFactor credit me for "skins" when I did the Ligier teapot dome from scratch!
Now this is somehow interesting...

You know who I'm talking about--Virtual Classics. I should emphasize that I think they're very nice guys; they even helped me register there. I just watched Real Madrid pummel Galatasary, so I don't know why you'd resent reference to Spain; you rule.

Staff
neiln1 Wrote:You know who I'm talking about--Virtual Classics. I should emphasize that I think they're very nice guys; they even helped me register there. I just watched Real Madrid pummel Galatasary, so I don't know why you'd resent reference to Spain; you rule.

Ease it up mate, anyways its great to see you back again!

About the actual "legalization of leeching" discussion, the community of R4S decided to legalize some ways of leeching, precisely it was called "giving credits only" would be allowed from now on. We had a vote some weeks ago where all R4S members where allowed to vote for different options and one of them was this "giving credits only is okay"-thing what we have now.