Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F1 1997 Season
Hi everyone, I need help from the community. It seems like the only decent 1997 mod out there is from Watchy and friends. This mod was released probably in 2003 or 2004. Until now, there has been no other mod to replace it. The cars now look a little dated and kind of low quality. I have upgraded the cars to include new wings, steering wheels and mechanical parts. It is not perfect but looks much better from the original mod. Obviously, until now, I have kept this for personal use only since I never got in touch with Watchy and his friends to ask for their permission. Does anyone know how to contact them? If it is impossible to, do you think this update would be allowed to be released given that I would give them 100% credit for the mod itself? What do you guys think? The last thing I want is to be accused of leeching nor do I want to disrespect anyone with this update.
(10-29-2018, 09:58 PM)dmarques Wrote: Hi everyone, I need help from the community. It seems like the only decent 1997 mod out there is from Watchy and friends. This mod was released probably in 2003 or 2004. Until now, there has been no other mod to replace it. The cars now look a little dated and kind of low quality. I have upgraded the cars to include new wings, steering wheels and mechanical parts. It is not perfect but looks much better from the original mod. Obviously, until now, I have kept this for personal use only since I never got in touch with Watchy and his friends to ask for their permission. Does anyone know how to contact them? If it is impossible to, do you think this update would be allowed to be released given that I would give them 100% credit for the mod itself? What do you guys think? The last thing I want is to be accused of leeching nor do I want to disrespect anyone with this update.

Hi David,

I have downloaded 1997 mod just minutes ago. The credits file doesn't give contact sources.

If I were you and wanted to release my updates... I would do so. First of all, because I credited all of the original authors and content creators. Second, because I haven't got ways of contacting Watchy, and third... because there is a distance of almost 15 years between the original release and the updates.

Do you remember my experience with RH and EMAC not too long ago? It could be your reference for a green light to your optimizations. 

Wikipedia's definition of leecher: "In computing and specifically Internet, a leech is one who benefits, usually deliberately, from others' information or effort but does not offer anything in return, or makes only token offerings in an attempt to avoid being called a leech."

Hope this clarifies to you what decision you want to take. I could expect also a "no".

Kind regards. All the best,
Cristian
Thanks Christian, that's what I though. Would you be able to send me the credit file please? I'll add it to my 97 package for good measure.
Great news! Agree with you, the cars are a bit outdated. Looking forward your updates!

Thank you,

Best Regards,
i think its the right move, just give the necessary credits to them and publish
IMO, if you can't reach the original authors, just give them credit for their original work and go ahead with your updates!
I agree with all of you. If Watchy and friends get ofended, I’ll quickly remove it. Can any of you please send me the original readme? Or tell me where to download the original mod? I can’t seem to find it. Thanks
(10-29-2018, 11:10 PM)dmarques Wrote: Thanks Christian, that's what I though. Would you be able to send me the credit file please? I'll add it to my 97 package for good measure.

Of course!

https://mega.nz/?fbclid=IwAR1z5W3Fd3cpK4...S8QXyULwvU

Kind regards,
Cristian
I didn't know if I should comment because I think I won't contribute with anything new that has not already been said, but I'm agree with all of you.

Thanks to people like Dmarques, Cristian Luis, Cherry and a lot of more people who have done incredible things for F1C community, is why I love F1C and this forum/community. In my humble opinion, as well as some of you said before, crediting the original authors would be enough. In case that they get offended or so, what you said could be the best thing to do.

(10-29-2018, 09:58 PM)dmarques Wrote: Until now, there has been no other mod to replace it.

In addition, i've researched a little bit (not too much, the following information is very easy to find), and I've seen:
*The goodApart from master dmarques update, which we don't know yet how it is, apart from 1997 by Watchy and friends, the only different 1997 cars I've seen, are the 97 Williams and 97 Ferrari from Assetto Corsa, both very well done in my opinion.
*The bad: These 2 cars are the only ones that has been made. I've not seen any other 1997 cars for any other platform, apart from conversions of the existent mod of Watchy and friends.

After this Bible... thank you very much for your devotion. Best wishes to you all, and have a nice Halloween!!
@Cristian Luis: Thanks for the readme mate

@Sudden: Don’t expect miracles from this update. It’s still based on the original cars from Watchy and friends. I tried to do the best I could with the available resources. Most components (Wings, suspension, engines, barge boards, floors and difusers) were taken from the 96 cars since they looked very similar and are very good quality. Also, I just remembered that the mod includes an updated CK Lola, si I’ll have to give him credit too for that car