Poll: In how far should leeching be allowed?
This poll is closed.
No way, of course not allowed!
38.46%
5 38.46%
Combined part permits
46.15%
6 46.15%
Legalization of leeching!
15.38%
2 15.38%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The legendary leeching question. [READ MESSAGE FIRST!]
Staff
Hey Guys!

Once again, another forum, another year but still the same discussions. And as the community is about to split in half again, the Race4Sim Administration Team decided to enlighten the darkness of leeching. Not yet, of course. Once again it's up to the community to decide!

The idea:
We want to let the community decide what should be allowed in the future and what will not be allowed. This has a simple reason: we don't want to let the community die out once again, we want to keep classic games like F1C, rF1 or GP4 alive. But as this is not a black-or-white-decision only we wanted to give you some options to choose:

No way, of course not allowed!
Leeching won't be allowed as it was up to yet.

Combined part permits
If you choose this there will be another poll soon which ones of the parly permits named below would be allowed:
  • Partly allowed: Textures only
    If you choose this, it means if you want to release some texture add-ons the files won't be checked about stolen files, so texture add-ons, skins or reworks without permissions would be become legal
  • Partly allowed: License-free list
    If you choose this, there will be a list added to both, the R4S Forum and Home Page too, where everybody can officially agree to edit the files the person has done without permissions and even reuploading would be allowed.
  • Partly allowed: Time-depening releases allowed
    If you choose this, it means if a person or group is not reachable anymore or was offline for a long (pre-defined) time it would be allowed to release their stuff without having their permission.

Legalization of leeching!
Speaks for itself.

IMPORTANT: Of course the credit-giving rule still exists, whichever of these options will win! That means if you want to add stuff to R4S without given credits it will be deleted in any case!

The Poll will be closed on March 17th, 0:00 am GMT+1. You just have one option to choose, so choose wisely!

Kind regards,
Race4Sim Administration Team
No one gets tired of this topic,for my opinion,option 3 is a little bit on the edge of the legality of a mod :|
I miss a fourth option:
Leeching is allowed from licensed materials where obviously you can't ask for / get permission (so you could port F1 2013 cars to F1C for example), but leeching from modded materials shouldn't be allowed without asking permission from the original author first.
I saw too many modding communities and subsequently games to die out because there was no way to re-use materials in any form Sad
Staff
kmerse Wrote:I miss a fourth option:
Leeching is allowed from licensed materials where obviously you can't ask for / get permission (so you could port F1 2013 cars to F1C for example), but leeching from modded materials shouldn't be allowed without asking permission from the original author first.
I saw too many modding communities and subsequently games to die out because there was no way to re-use materials in any form Sad

Quote:Combined part permits
If you choose this there will be another poll soon which ones of the parly permits named below would be allowed:
  • Partly allowed: Time-depening releases allowed
    If you choose this, it means if a person or group is not reachable anymore or was offline for a long (pre-defined) time it would be allowed to release their stuff without having their permission.

Wink and Stuff from F1 2013 isn't allowed as CodeMasters protects its stuff by copyrights. You and all the other leechers can be thankful that they don't care 6 months after the release of an F1 game.
You're telling me like I would release leeched mods...
BTW: Is there a way to change my vote? Smile
Well, here's my view:

I don't approve of straight-up leeching, just out of respect to the work of the original authors. However I feel that there is some obligation from the original authors as well to provide clear instructions.

So basically:

Personally I don't see a problem at all with conversions from other games, such as Codemasters to F1C conversions. I feel that that should be "legal" although as long as it isn't I will respect that view.

And second, I feel that it should be necessary to ask permission, but if the original author doesn't reply to a permission request from his last known email address that his work can be re-used legally. Of course credit would still need to be given, and the situation explained, but I'm quite tired of authors either being out of the community or just not taking the time to simply reply, and that effectively locking down their work. Also this wouldn't apply in cases such as with the RH mods, where Ralph basically publicly said that he wouldn't grant permission to anyone, period, because we know he wouldn't approve.

So that's a bit more complex, but I'm voting for the combined parts choice. My two cents worth.
Staff
REMEMBER: The Poll will be closed on March 17th, 0:00 am GMT+1. You just have one option to choose, so choose wisely!
I've got a question, and I think it's best placed in this thread. If I make an update for another mod, do I have to have permissions by the author, or may I upload it so, because it's made for his mod and has a bit of his base, but also can be used with other mods(e.g. performance)
Staff
WEG Wrote:I've got a question, and I think it's best placed in this thread. If I make an update for another mod, do I have to have permissions by the author, or may I upload it so, because it's made for his mod and has a bit of his base, but also can be used with other mods(e.g. performance)
As we all know for now it's not allowed to upload stuff without permission Wink
fisicoF1 Wrote:
WEG Wrote:I've got a question, and I think it's best placed in this thread. If I make an update for another mod, do I have to have permissions by the author, or may I upload it so, because it's made for his mod and has a bit of his base, but also can be used with other mods(e.g. performance)
As we all know for now it's not allowed to upload stuff without permission Wink
I meant, this is to be used with a mod, but does not use content of this mod.