Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion
Staff
What do you think about the actual developements in F1, eg. the Paydriver "problem" or the tyres abuse?
Staff
The problem of the "Paydriver" is that a lot of teams like Marussia, the old HRT and the GP2 teams don't have a great budget because the materials to build the cars are too expensive. HRT used this method, and Narain Karthikeyan paid a lot of money to run and finish the last on every race. The team finished without money and they cannot pay to the mechanics any euro. I think F1 is becoming a big conglomerate of absurdity. For example, the last year Mercedes GP spent 6.000.000€ for the KERS, and most of the teams too. Probably if they spend this money for the world, the crisis will finish tomorrow......
I wold prohibit the use of certain materials in the cars to reduce the costs. Plus I would make engine electronics much simpler, I would prohibit any adjustment midrace in the engine control software, or in any other system except of wing settings and KERS. Oh, and I would get good old hard tires back. You remember when the teams had to stop for fuel, but not because their tires were worn? That was real racing, thex could push the car as hard as they could because the tires didn't give up after 2 laps 8-)
I would also cut half the income of FOM from the races and I would distribute it back to the teams. Ecclestone is already rich enough, he doesn't need any more money Tongue
Staff
Prohibiting certain materials doesn't automatically mean lower costs. As teams can't use the original materials anymore, they'll have to look for other materials. This needs research, which brings costs with them. Maybe not as high as certain materials, but I don't think it will reduce the costs drastically. And I'd actually like it when KERS would be banned again. Or if it would be replaced by a "Push to Pass" button, which can only be used a limited amount of times in a race and not in training and qualifying.
Tires wearing out quickly brings up another important (and great) part of Formula 1: Tactics. If you'd only have to stop for fuel, there would be no exitement in strategy, which would be a shame if you ask me. Great teams have great tactics.

Saying "I would" without thinking it through is kind of a stupid Wink
Also fuel stops could lead to geat tactics. I didn't watch races in that time but for example Schumachers Hungary 1998 race, which wouldn't be possible without fueling.
What comes to me at first is the 1996 Australian GP (because I rewatched it last week Tongue) when Hill and Villeneue could both push as hard as they could during the whole race and they fought a close battle within 3 seconds. Or the famous Alonso-Schumacvher duels in Imola, when the chaser couldn't pass the other in P1. They didn't have to hold themselves back because the tires lose all grip if they brake hard twice, or they start to blister if go too close behind the other... The current tire situation since Pirelli returned is beyond ridiculous. Drivers can't drive their car because they have to pay constant attention to the tires instead of trying to go faster. This is not Formula 1, this is like those races when you have to build a car which goes the farthest with 1 liter of fuel. But that's a different kind of animal...
Staff
About the Malaysian GP, anyone else thinks that Vettel behaved like an unfair little kid?
Granted, I am a fan of him and he is a great sportsman as well, at this time, however, his lack of chivalry becomes (imho) apparent once again... :|
At least Vettel was faster than almost any other drivers, Hamilton uses the pit slot he wants and go slow, the team prefer him to the old driver who gave them some important results! :x It seems to me that Massa during the last stint was faster than the 4 drivers in front of him. If 'Frenando' had not hinded him in the 1st corners he wasn't passed by 3 cars and could finish on the podium. Another worst result for the spanish, he is the better help for everyone else who wants win the Championships. :x
About tires I think if it continue (fast) some more laps should be better, as it was only some years ago. But now F1 is fashion and to be followed by rich and fashionable guys must be more overtakes than possible on the straights because the driver before are with very bad tires and the ones behind uses kers and drs. :x
[Image: homogp_don_t_touch_all.gif]
[Image: Targhe.gif]
CECCO#33 Wrote:At least Vettel was faster than almost any other drivers, Hamilton uses the pit slot he wants and go slow, the team prefer him to the old driver who gave them some important results! :x It seems to me that Massa during the last stint was faster than the 4 drivers in front of him. If 'Frenando' had not hinded him in the 1st corners he wasn't passed by 3 cars and could finish on the podium. Another worst result for the spanish, he is the better help for everyone else who wants win the Championships. :x
About tires I think if it continue (fast) some more laps should be better, as it was only some years ago. But now F1 is fashion and to be followed by rich and fashionable guys must be more overtakes than possible on the straights because the driver before are with very bad tires and the ones behind uses kers and drs. :x

Ross Brawn being his old, cunning self. He knew Lewis wouldn't let Nico through easily as shown when Nico actually managed to pass him on the back straight only for Lewis to repass him. Now, while this may not be in the general audience' interest, it was in the team's best interest to stop the guys from going at it, wearing their material more than they should and possibly risking a collision when they have had a perfectly secure P3 & 4. On another note, I wonder what Vettel would say had his Red Bull expired because the race being in Malaysia and Red Bull being known for their "endurance" that was one hell of a risk.

Here's hoping McLaren don't put too much effort in this season and are already looking towards 2014. The reported problem is the front suspension which makes the car perform inconsistently for a pair of drivers who need a consistently performing car for their driving styles. And unless they find an early season miracle, they might as well minimise effort for this year because right now, this car looks as competitive as the mid-90s McLaren. I mean, Checo was overtaken by Hülkenberg in a SAUBER, that's just, well, embarrasing.